A random survey of self-portraits created by women through the centuries
Today we celebrate a few of the talented women who have been rescued from the fog of time. Their self-portraits are now among the most cited on the internet when discussing the history of female painters.
As always, you will find links in the captions that will lead to biographies and information about each work.
1. Self-Portrait by Catharina van Hemessen, 1548 / Tempera on oak wood / Kunstmuseum Basel, Switzerland
2. Self-Portrait by Sofonisba Anguissola, 1556 / Oil on canvas / Łańcut Castle, Poland
3. Self-Portrait in the Studio by Lavinia Fontana, 1579 / Oil on copper / Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence, Italy
4. Self-portrait by Judith Leyster, c.1630 / Oil on canvas / National Gallery of Art, DC
5. Self-Portrait as the Allegory of Painting by Artemisia Gentileschi, c. 1638–39 / Oil on canvas / British Royal Collection, UK
6. Self-portrait by Angelica Kauffman, c.1770/1775 / Oil on canvas / National Portrait Gallery, London, UK
7. Self-portrait in a Straw Hat by Élisabeth Vigée Le Brun, 1782 / Oil on canvas / National Portrait Gallery, London, UK
8. Self-Portrait by Marie-Gabrielle Capet, c.1783 / Oil on canvas / National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, Japan
9. Self-Portrait with Two Pupils by Adélaïde Labille-Guiard, 1785 / Oil on canvas / Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC
[18 embedded links above]